Author Topic: Why you are using windows?  (Read 1187 times)

Grief-Code

• Average Member
    • View Profile
Why you are using windows?
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:34:07 am »
Hey,

I started to work on the new bot, and i have a main question, why are people using windows as hosting system?
I would like to understand the part and decide on that if I will still develope for multi-OS.

I have listed some obvious points which can be used as answere, to enhance the discussion a bit more:
  • Windows is the main OS and nearly always used, easy to use, since we know it
  • Windows has a visual surface, not just a console
  • You can see applications running, if you are not starting bots as service
  • You like to use GHostOne GUI

The reason why im thinking about it, is simple, many who using OHSystem using also windows servers, which is quiet difficult to maintain, since im working only on ubuntu. And im thinking to block the windows support. I have noticed many recent topics, which wouldn't happen if someone using a windows OS. Windows OS is not a good solution for hosting gaming platforms, UNIX systems has a lot more options for usage, even if you think about low-latency-kernel patches which will optimize your kernel for hosting apps.

A small update to the general workflow of OHSystem. We decided to make a roll up of the project, we will create a module system for the bot as well as for the statspage. This is easier for us to maintain and we can easily keep parts closed to us. The idea is to have a warper around the bot and statspage and allows you to add modules simple by one click, it will update database, web infrastructure and add more config options. We are also considering making our gamepanel open source which help a lot to maintain your bots and hosting application, and if im in a really good mood, i will share my resource-crawler, it is a small c++ application which is taking care of resource usage and send alerts, it will also directly act on ddos in any way and send alerts and kill process which sending too much pakets. It is also planed to have soon a resource monitoring, but I think this is only interesting for large hostings.

So what is ur reason why you use windows?

Regards

Profforg

• Average Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why you are using windows?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:46 am »
1. Lack of knowledges on Linux.
2. Want to host on own PC to reduce costs to zero.

Other reasons like visual interface are minor.
I'm offering most advanced Warcraft 3 bot hosting.

Feel free to contact me:
E-Mail: admin@rusdota.net

Grief-Code

• Average Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:17:34 am »
1 point is the main problem i guess.

However, 2nd point, you need to recalculate. If you ran a common tower for 1 month, your energy costs are already around 22€, having a stronger tower for more bots will need more money. A cheap VPS for 3€/month could cover already 8 of my bots. (db/web excluded)

Profforg

• Average Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:21:40 am »
1 point is the main problem i guess.

However, 2nd point, you need to recalculate. If you ran a common tower for 1 month, your energy costs are already around 22€, having a stronger tower for more bots will need more money. A cheap VPS for 3€/month could cover already 8 of my bots. (db/web excluded)

2nd points is mostly for teenagers. Parents pay for energy costs and they do not pay anything :)

Big hosts do not run on Windows, that's just a fact. If you develop bot for Windows, you just develop it for teenagers or newbiews. I don't think you should continue with Windows developement. Linux our all. Debian-based aim is the best choice in my opinion. Opensource can not die. Even if all current developers will die - other people can continue developement. Windows is closed-source and there are no way to fix vulnerabilities or fix bugs or add new features. We should fight for open-source and saying "No" to Windows is a big step.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:23:34 am by Profforg »
I'm offering most advanced Warcraft 3 bot hosting.

Feel free to contact me:
E-Mail: admin@rusdota.net

Grief-Code

• Average Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 04:51:22 am »
I totally agree to that.